Theme Connecting with society
To ensure a well functioning community and democracy, it is important that people from different backgrounds connect with each other. Mutual connection contributes to the knowledge and understanding of other perspectives and lifestyles. Taking an interest in others is the first step to bridging gaps. We also require knowledge on our justice system and government structure to support our democratic society (see references 4, 5, 6 and 7).
Our goal in relation to connection
We believe diversity is a strength and an opportunity, and we want to promote interaction between cultural groups. We bring people together so that they can become better acquainted and experience different ideas, beliefs, and thoughts, and we want to encourage these people to search actively for common interests and shared concerns.
In specific terms:
- Promote integration in society through discussions with residents and mediators. This is based on the desire to learn and without passing judgment, with the aim to discover what takes place in the city, village, or community.
- Organize, initiate, and launch activities to create opportunities for development and connection together with residents and partners.
- Grant everyone (visitors, staff, partners) space to develop activities that align with our mission and goals, based on the principle of equality.
- Provide everyone with the opportunity to actively participate in society with a view to developing their own talents within their own capabilities.
To achieve this, we will:
- Make knowledge and culture accessible for everyone.
- Ensure we are clearly visible.
- Offer low-threshold access, both physically and digitally.
- Provide a warm welcome.
- Ensure we are easy to reach, either in our own buildings or at other locations in the city, neighborhood, or village.
We can connect people by:
- Working together with various partners and groups and bringing them into contact with each other.
- Doing this wherever people are, and not restricted to our branches.
- Always acting in accordance with the principle: for, from and by the people.
What are we going to do:
- We plan to develop activities for, together with and initiated by individuals and groups within the community who have been isolated or are in danger of being isolated. This results from not having the necessary skills to participate in society.
- We will utilize our services in the areas of art and culture, language and reading, and knowledge and information as a means of bringing people together. For this purpose, we will design activities for, together with and initiated by groups and individuals who are already working in one of these areas or who may be interested. While doing this we always take current and relevant developments in society into consideration.
Who do we want our activities to target:
- Our main target group is youngsters aged 0-21 years. This is because the need to connect with others begins in your childhood years.
- Our focus is also directed towards senior citizens (65+) where building and maintaining a social network is a cause for concern.
- Another group requiring special attention are people with low literacy skills, and here again, building and maintaining a social network is an important issue.